Thursday, June 14, 2012

(Belated) 1st Birthday on the Farm

Invitation designed by B.Nute productions.
In less than two months (CONTROL PANIC ATTACK), my son will turn two years old. I fully believe that time goes by faster with each passing year of your child's life, because I swear we are still putting away party supplies from his first birthday party--seriously…I think there are extra treat bags still next to my bed. 
So, since it has only been a few weeks since his party in my head (but 10 months in reality) I’d love to share the details of his John Deere tractor/farm  party, held at my parent’s home in the country which is surrounded by grapevines and was the perfect locale for an “on the farm” theme.

Guests were greeted by my dad’s actual John Deere 4040 tractor--this is no prop. ;) 

This was the one idea from Pinterest that my so-not-crafty self was able to execute with relative ease. The 3D cardboard letters were purchased at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store and spray painted matte white, then strung with a bouquet of balloons. My amazingly talented friend Natosha Cooke of One Cute Cookie handmade a lot of the party dĂ©cor to incorporate our theme, including tractor-shaped balloon charms.



For simple and easy centerpieces, I made small arrangements in 16-ounce Mason jars. I wanted the jars that were stamped with “Mason” without much other design or wording and was able to order them from a candle supply company. The 8-ounce jars held colorful fruit candies, which we refilled, lidded, and sent home with the adults as favors.


The food and beverage lables, treat bag tags, invitations and cupcake toppers were designed by B.Nute productions.


I strung the 12 pictures I’d taken of Mason every month since he was born from a green and yellow ribbon with clothespins.






We used the back of my dad’s John Deere Gator as a beverage station, which included old fashioned glass bottled sodas and organic juice boxes for the kids.

 
“Mason’s Vegetable Garden” offered snap peas, carrots, tomatoes and broccoli florets.

We took advantage of all the gorgeous fresh fruit the Central Valley has to offer to make a colorful in-season display, complete with raisins grown at my dad’s farm.
A friend of my mom’s loaned us her vintage John Deere toys to continue the theme on the food table. 


The cupcakes, tractor cake, and smash cake were made by my favorite local bakery, Frosted Cakery. Their work is absolutely phenomenal in both design and flavor. I can’t say enough good things about them, and they may know me by name when I go in to the shop. :) The cake pops were chocolate fudge and the cupcakes were a variety of chocolate, vanilla with confetti, and “green” velvet.


I have a serious sweet tooth, so planning the cake and other treats with Megan at Frosted Cakery  was my favorite part of the party. She took main elements that I knew I wanted and created a fun and very personal custom designed cake, right down to the grapevines and our family farm’s logo hanging on the fence. It was a vanilla bean cake with fresh raspberry filling.




The "Mason" banner and "Farmer Mason" onesie was created by Natosha at One Cute Cookie on Etsy (or visit OCC on Facebook), Mason's John Deere booties were ordered online from Langston's Western Wear, and the custom birthday hat was made by the seller 10candles on Etsy.  Green and yellow tractor-shaped crayons were included in the treat bags, and were also ordered from Etsy.

Our family wore matching shirts embroidered with the family farm’s logo, made by a local screenprinting and embroidery shop.
We offered pony rides for the kids...most of them enjoyed it much more than Mason did.





I’m so pleased with how the party came together, thanks to the help of many talented vendors and friends. Now to get the creative juices flowing for his next birthday…

No comments:

Post a Comment